The successful candidate will enjoy sharing stories and information about the ABQ BioPark via social media and traditional media channels. A strong commitment to conservation and understanding of animal well-being is paramount. This position reports to the Marketing Coordinator and is part of the Guest Experience department.
The ABQ BioPark consists of the Zoo, Aquarium and Botanic Garden and Tingley Beach.
This position is employed through Tryfacta staffing agency, not the City of Albuquerque, and is located at the ABQ BioPark. This full time position is limited to a two year term.
The Communications Officer’s duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and execute the BioPark’s social media presence; including researching stories, interviewing area experts, writing, acquiring photo and/or video assets, posting stories and tracking performance.
- Working with the City of Albuquerque’s (CABQ) web team to update the ABQ BioPark’s CABQ website pages.
- Research, plan, write and copy edit content for Press Releases, News Items, promotional copy, events and exhibit interpretation.
- Coordinating with local TV, radio and print news media including escorting media visits, producing talking points and assisting with photo and b-roll collection.
- Monitor and track media stories about the ABQ BioPark.
- Develop print and multi-media education and marketing materials.
- Monitor and respond to social media comments and direct messages on behalf of the ABQ BioPark.
- Assisting with press conference logistics, set up and tear down.
- Assist with maintaining the BioPark’s photo archive; including tagging photos for accurate retrieval.
- Provide production assistance during photo / video shoots.
- Help pick up / distribute graphics and marketing projects around BioPark facilities.
- Familiarize and remain current on Association of Zoo and Aquarium (AZA) communication best practices.
A Successful Communications Officer will:
- Be familiar with modern social media platforms and best practices.
- Have a friendly and open personality and enjoy working with a diverse cross section of individuals from a variety of departments at all levels of government and job positions.
- Be a skilled photographer. Nature photography and location videography skills a plus.
- Be motivated to seek out and share conservation stories.
- Be familiar with and apply Associated Press style guidelines.
- Be comfortable working outdoors for short periods of time in variable weather conditions.
Applicants must be 18 years or older and be physically able to lift or move up to 30 pounds (stanchions, photo/video equipment). Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus. Candidates must pass a security background check to be hired.
Full-time; generally Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Occasional short periods of weekend, holiday and evening work may be required.
$19.75 per hour. This position is employed through Tryfacta staffing agency, not the City of Albuquerque.
Please prepare a cover letter, résumé, writing samples and contact information for three references.
Send this information to [email protected] with the subject line Application for Communications Officer with Albuquerque BioPark. Applications must be received by January 6, 2023.
After initial review, we may contact you for links to any professional social media you curate, and if applicable, your photography and video portfolio as well.